Monday, June 12, 2006

Montreal Restaurant Review: Adega


Adega is a Potruguese restaurant. The restaurant specializes in authentic grilled Portuguese dishes, which are superb. Note... because I don't speak Portuguese, I will give Italian words to the dishes to make it sound nicer than the English translation (which I will also give you). :p

As an entree, I had sardine grigliate (grilled sardine). These sardines are definitely not the same kind that come out of the can. They are quite bigger and more importantly, quite tastier. The entree was quite generous, with three fish. The fish tasted very similar to acciuge portoguesi (Portuguese anchiovies), that I've had once. Anyway, besides the spine (little bones that all small fish have), the fish was very good and I highly recommend it. The plate is also nicely presented with cubed yellow and red pepper.

Other entrees that friends had were calamari grigliati (grilled calamari). I never had grilled calamari before, only fried, but they were very good. Interesting, but definitely worth it. There are many other entrees, but let's move on to the main courses...

My main course was salmoni grigliati (grilled salmon). I've had salmon many many times before, and I consider myself a quasi-expert with fish... and I must say that it was really good. The salmon was perfectly cooked... nice and moist on the inside and grilled on the outside. It was also served with rapini, mushrooms, salad and fries. All I can say is that this dish was perfect.

Other main courses were the bacala (cod), mixed meats, chicken, steak, calamari, sardines, veal, etc. The nice thing about this restaurant is that some of the main dishes are blown up entrees, like with the calamari and sardines. Everything got good reviews and looked really good. I'll give a special mention to the mixed meat plate. You get Portuguese sausage, quail, chicken, steak, and I think another meat... all grilled to perfection. Definitely a must-have, and I will order it next time I go.

Adega is a hole-in-the-wall restaurant, which claimes to seat 30 people, but I think less. However, it's a cozy atmosphere and great place for a get-together with friends or as a couple. Simply, the food is great and you will definitely enjoy your meal.

Adega is located at 3124 Beaubien Est corner 9th Avenue in Montreal. The phone number is 514-725-6285.

No comments: