Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Montreal Restaurant Review: Phuket


Phuket is a thai/sushi restaurant located in Montreal. I'll start off by saying that this restaurant is amazing.

Phuket serves up authentic thai dishes and excellent sushi. The food is simply delicious. What's nice about this restaurant is that you can mix what you want. For example, you can have an entree of sushi and a thai main course.

On the two occaisions that I've been to the restaurant, I ordered a soup as an entree; once a mushroom soup and once a seafood soup. Both times, I was surprised with how different these soups taste compared with usual soups but also with how good the soups taste. What's interesting is that there is a strong hint of ginger in the soup, which is refreshing since I usually only have ginger along with sushi. Now for the main dishes...

The first time I went, I decided to go with chicken/eggplant saute. Excellent. There are undertones of hot pepper and the eggplant is very good. Who knew chicken and eggplant went so well together. It's served with plain white rice, which you eat together with the saute. The second time I went to the restaurant, I had the green curry chicken (also served with plain white rice, like many other dishes). I had never had curry before, so I had no idea what to expect. Well, this dish was really good. It had very interesting flavours, which I liked. The green curry with the chicken and thai vegetables was excellent.

I also tasted their general tao chicken, which was really tasty, probably the best I've had. I also tried the spicy red curry chicken. This is similar in flavour to the green curry dish I had, except for the red curry and the extra spicyness. Very good.

I haven't tasted the sushi for myself, but from very reliable sources, the sushi is excellent, as well as the sushi cones. I will have to try it next time.

Another thing not to overlook is the restaurant itself. Great traditional Thai decor helps create a nice ambiance, which is important in enjoying the meal.

My recommendation... go the Restaurant Phuket. You will love the food, the ambiance and good service. You will not be dissapointed and will defintely want to go back.

Restaurant Phuket is located in St-Leonard. The address is 4673 Jarry Est, corner Viau. The telephone number is 514-721-2888.

No comments: